Every weekend over at TheWorkout.Today, Keeley and I send out "The Weekend Wind Down: A restorative routine intended to provide rest, rejuvenation, and perspective for your mind, body, and spirit." This weekend we wrote about meditation and how we spend our . . .
You know that feeling when someone contradicts you, or says something you believe is wrong, or ignorant, or offensive?
If you pay close enough attention, you can literally feel it: your jaw tightens, your breath becomes more bated, your heart rate might go up, and you may crinkle your face, or tense your shoulders.
This is the physical . . .
In basketball, the scorecard is easy: Whoever scores more points in 48 minutes wins the game.
In cooking, the scorecard is slightly more complex. It includes price (how much did the ingredients cost?), time (how long does is take to make?), health (is it good for you?), and deliciousness (does it taste good?). When you master all four . . .
1. As a general rule, put your phone away during meals with other people. Not on the table. Out of sight, sound off.
2. For a further challenge, put your phone away during meals alone. Read, listen to a podcast, or just eat and notice your surroundings.
3. If you are expecting a truly important and time-sensitive call or text . . .
We are often most stressed when we are in a reactive mode: Inbox open. Phone notifications on. We answer email after email and new ones keep coming in. We respond to request after request. We get into a compulsive, reactive spiral. And the worst part is that this compulsive mode seeps into . . .
1. If you are driving to a neighborhood where street parking is hard to find, just park in the first spot you see within 10 blocks of your destination. Then walk.
2. Treat your phone like a landline. Leave it at home when you go out. Don't worry - it will be waiting for you when you come home. Alternative: Leave it in the car when you go out . . .
A lot of people have fitness resolutions for the New Year.
And most people make them WAY too ambitious.
It's really hard to start doing crossfit, or running, or yoga 3X per week, if previously: